Sunday, December 9, 2007

Citizen Soldier

My wife and I went to watch the Bourne Ultimatum at the theater the other day, and though the movie was amazing, what really stuck with me was the tribute to the United States National Guard by 3 Doors Down during the trailers. Already one of my favorite bands, I was moved by this video tribute to our fellow citizens that serve our nation so valiantly. The Guard recently celebrated its 370'th birthday in 2006; it is one of the oldest military institutions in our country and its mission includes foreign and domestic aid. As I thought about the Guard, I was reminded it was the Guard that came to our country's aid after the horrible events of 9/11, helped our military in Kosovo and Bosnia, and post-Katrina. These fine citizens sacrifice all, up to life itself, in protecting and serving our nation. When I see the actions of these fine men and women I am proud to call myself an American. These are the people that live among us; one of my good friends from high school, Jill Stevens served as a Combat Medic for the Army National Guard in Afghanistan from 2003 to 2005 and was recently voted Miss Utah 2007. Think what you may about America's foreign policy, but the selfless service of these men and women is without peer.

Read Jill's Blog here.

Video of Citizen Soldier
National Guard Website

No comments: